lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Breese,John" <John.Bre...@Cerner.com>
Subject query filter with OR reduces results
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:19:00 GMT
I'm trying to figure out why adding an "OR" condition to a query filter would end up restricting
results, instead of unioning them? I would expect to get back more results by adding a union
to the filter query.

Case 1 – 380 Results

380 results are returned with a query of xyz with a query filter of

(NOT sentence_id:[* TO *])

Case 2 – 41 Results

41 results are returned with the same query and a filter query of

(usage_flags:PRESCRIPTION)

Case 3 – Union of Case 1 and 2

Only 41 results are returned using the same query and a filter query of

(NOT sentence_id:[* TO *])

OR

(usage_flags:PRESCRIPTION)

I would expect that I would get at least 380 results with the union, instead of the 41 that
I am seeing.

I only really notice this issue when using the NOT operator, so perhaps the problem lies with
not understanding quite how the NOT operator is applied here. Any ideas?

I'm testing using the Solr /admin/form.jsp

Solr Implementation Version: 3.6.0 1310449 - rmuir - 2012-04-06 11:34:53

The default query parser is EDisMax, though I don't think that will change the filter queries.