lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Michael Della Bitta <michael.della.bi...@appinions.com>
Subject Re: Can't find solr.xml
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 20:08:29 GMT
Possibly an obvious thing you've already looked at, but does the user
that Tomcat's running under have execute permissions on all the
directories leading up to your solr directory? It might be being
prevented from traversing the directory tree.

Also I would verify there's no ACLs on anything in that directory
tree. Those can get bizarre if you're like me and don't understand
them. :)

I'm assuming you're using a UNIX variant here...

Michael Della Bitta

------------------------------------------------
Appinions, Inc. -- Where Influence Isn’t a Game.
http://www.appinions.com


On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Nabeel Sulieman
<nabeel.sulieman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried going back to 3.5 and ran into the same problem, so it's definitely
> an issue on my server.
>
> It's just so bizarre; I can cat or vi "/home/dev/solr/solr.xml" with no
> problems, and I've even tried setting the permission to read/write for all,
> but tomcat still can't seem to find the file.
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if my tomcat user is running in some kind of jailed
> environment? I'll look into that next.
>
> Anyways, I'll retrace my steps and see if I come up with anything.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Miller [mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com]
> Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:27 PM
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Can't find solr.xml
>
> Can't think of anything that would cause this from 3.5 to 3.6.
>
> If you indeed have a solr home located at home/dev/solr/ and there is a conf
> dir under that, all I can imagine is that it's a permissions issue or
> something at the OS level.
>
> On Jun 30, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Nabeel Sulieman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> I really hate bothering this group with something that should be
>> trivial, but I've been googling and experimenting to get this to work
>> for the last week now. I had no trouble getting my simple
>> configuration working on 3.5, but when I moved over to 3.6, I seem to have
> hit something strange.
>>
>>
>>
>> As I said I'm on the latest version of solr (3.6.0), and I'm using
>> exactly the standard war file, with the "solr/home" section
>> uncommented and set to my Solr directory.
>>
>>
>>
>> However, even though the path is correct, Solr/Tomcat don't seem to be
>> able to find the solr.xml file, nor the solrconfig.xml file.
>>
>>
>>
>> Java version is 1.6.0_29-b11, tomcat 5.5.35, CentOS.
>>
>>
>>
>> What am I missing here?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks. Below is the error log.
>>
>>
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer
>> initialize
>>
>> INFO: looking for solr.xml: /home/dev/solr/solr.xml
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer
>> initialize
>>
>> INFO: no solr.xml file found - using default
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer load
>>
>> INFO: Loading CoreContainer using Solr Home: '/home/dev/solr/'
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader
>> <init>
>>
>> INFO: new SolrResourceLoader for directory: '/home/dev/solr/'
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer create
>>
>> INFO: Creating SolrCore '' using instanceDir: /home/dev/solr/.
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader
>> <init>
>>
>> INFO: new SolrResourceLoader for directory: '/home/dev/solr/./'
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>>
>> SEVERE: java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't find resource
>> 'solrconfig.xml' in classpath or '/home/dev/solr/./conf/',
>> cwd=/usr/local/jakarta/apache-tomcat-5.5.35/bin
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openResource(SolrResourceLoade
>> r.java
>> :273)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.openConfig(SolrResourceLoader.
>> java:2
>> 39)
>>
>>                at org.apache.solr.core.Config.<init>(Config.java:141)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig.<init>(SolrConfig.java:138)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.create(CoreContainer.java:455)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer.load(CoreContainer.java:335)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer.initialize(CoreContaine
>> r.java
>> :165)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.jav
>> a:96)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(Application
>> Filter
>> Config.java:221)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(Applicat
>> ionFil
>> terConfig.java:302)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFil
>> terCon
>> fig.java:78)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.j
>> ava:36
>> 66)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:42
>> 58)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.reload(StandardContext.java:3
>> 056)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.reload(ManagerServlet.java:
>> 904)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.reload(HTMLManagerServl
>> et.jav
>> a:496)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServle
>> t.java
>> :99)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appli
>> cation
>> FilterChain.java:269)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFi
>> lterCh
>> ain.java:188)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:213)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:172)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticat
>> orBase
>> .java:563)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.ja
>> va:127
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.ja
>> va:117
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValv
>> e.java
>> :108)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java
>> :174)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
>> 879)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.pr
>> ocessC
>> onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoi
>> nt.jav
>> a:528)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFoll
>> owerWo
>> rkerThread.java:81)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPo
>> ol.jav
>> a:689)
>>
>>                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>>
>>
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter
>> init
>>
>> SEVERE: Could not start Solr. Check solr/home property and the logs
>>
>> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No cores were created, please
>> check the logs for errors
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer.initialize(CoreContaine
>> r.java
>> :172)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.jav
>> a:96)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(Application
>> Filter
>> Config.java:221)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(Applicat
>> ionFil
>> terConfig.java:302)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFil
>> terCon
>> fig.java:78)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.j
>> ava:36
>> 66)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:42
>> 58)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.reload(StandardContext.java:3
>> 056)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.reload(ManagerServlet.java:
>> 904)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.reload(HTMLManagerServl
>> et.jav
>> a:496)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServle
>> t.java
>> :99)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appli
>> cation
>> FilterChain.java:269)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFi
>> lterCh
>> ain.java:188)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:213)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:172)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticat
>> orBase
>> .java:563)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.ja
>> va:127
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.ja
>> va:117
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValv
>> e.java
>> :108)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java
>> :174)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
>> 879)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.pr
>> ocessC
>> onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoi
>> nt.jav
>> a:528)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFoll
>> owerWo
>> rkerThread.java:81)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPo
>> ol.jav
>> a:689)
>>
>>                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>>
>> Jun 30, 2012 12:47:58 PM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>>
>> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No cores were created,
>> please check the logs for errors
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.core.CoreContainer$Initializer.initialize(CoreContaine
>> r.java
>> :172)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.init(SolrDispatchFilter.jav
>> a:96)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(Application
>> Filter
>> Config.java:221)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(Applicat
>> ionFil
>> terConfig.java:302)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFil
>> terCon
>> fig.java:78)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.j
>> ava:36
>> 66)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:42
>> 58)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.reload(StandardContext.java:3
>> 056)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.reload(ManagerServlet.java:
>> 904)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.reload(HTMLManagerServl
>> et.jav
>> a:496)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doGet(HTMLManagerServle
>> t.java
>> :99)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)
>>
>>                at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appli
>> cation
>> FilterChain.java:269)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFi
>> lterCh
>> ain.java:188)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:213)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextVa
>> lve.ja
>> va:172)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authenticat
>> orBase
>> .java:563)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.ja
>> va:127
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.ja
>> va:117
>> )
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValv
>> e.java
>> :108)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java
>> :174)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
>> 879)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.pr
>> ocessC
>> onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoi
>> nt.jav
>> a:528)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFoll
>> owerWo
>> rkerThread.java:81)
>>
>>                at
>> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPo
>> ol.jav
>> a:689)
>>
>>                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>>
>
> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Mime
View raw message