lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Savvas Andreas Moysidis <savvas.andreas.moysi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use of Solr as primary store for search engine
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:34:21 GMT
Hello,

We've used both approaches in the past and have concluded that Solr is
best not used as a data store. The reason for this is that as the UI
matures the team may be asked to include information which is not
searchable (therefore not indexed) so you may find yourselves adding
fields for the sole purpose of rendering convenience. This, of course,
has the consequence of you needing to re-index every time a new
non-searchable field is added and as we (painfully..) found out this
is not always an easy decision..
In addition you will have to update (or better replace) a specific
document when a non-searchable part is modified with all the "heavy"
consequences this has (commit, newSearcher etc).

So, the lesson for us was that we should be completely separating the
data storage/searching concerns and store only ids in Solr which, as
you mention, then use to retrieve the displayable information from our
db.
After all, as it has been mentioned many times by the commiters in
this list Solr is _not_ a data store technology. :)

One use case I could see Solr being used as storage medium is when it
is not easy or practical to reconstitute the source data every time a
hit is made (e.g. if you've indexed a number of pdf documents it might
not be practical to load a pdf when a result is selected)

Regards,
Savvas