lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Use of Solr as primary store for search engine
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 05:28:50 GMT
On 7/4/2012 1:54 AM, Amit Nithian wrote:
> I am curious to know how people are using Solr in conjunction with
> other data stores when building search engines to power web sites (say
> an ecommerce site). The question I have for the group is given an
> architecture where the primary (transactional) data store is MySQL
> (Oracle, PostGres whatever) with periodic indexing into Solr, when
> your front end issues a search query to Solr and returns results, are
> there any joins with your primary Oracle/MySQL etc to help render
> results?

We used to pull almost everything from our previous search engine.
Shortly after we switched to Solr, we began deploying a new version of
our website which pulls more from the original data source.  The current
goal is to only store just enough data in Solr to render a search result
grid (pulling thumbails from the filesystem), but go to the database and
the filesystem for detail pages.  We'd like to reduce the index size to
the point where the whole thing will fit in RAM, which we hope will also
reduce the amount of time required for a full reindex.

What I hope to gain out of upgrading to Solr 4: Use the NRT features so
that we can index item popularity and purchase data fast enough to make
it actually useful.

Thanks,
Shawn