lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: How to change tmp directory
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:59:28 GMT
Solr is probably simply using Java's temp directory, which you can redefine
by setting the java.io.tmpdir system property on the java command line or
using a system-specific environment variable.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Fäßler
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 3:56 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: How to change tmp directory

Hello all,

I came about an odd issue today when I wanted to add ca. 7M documents to my
Solr index: I got a SolrServerException telling me "No space left on
device". I had a look at the directory Solr (and its index) is installed in
and there is plenty space (~300GB).
I then noticed a file named "upload_457ee97b_1385125274b__8000_00000005.tmp"
had taken up all space of the machine's /tmp directory. The partition
holding the /tmp directory only has around 1GB of space and this file
already took nearly 800MB. I had a look at it and I realized that the file
contained the data I was adding to Solr in an XML format.

Is there a possibility to change the temporary directory for this action?

I use an Iterator<SolrInputDocument> with the HttpSolrServer's add(Iterator)
method for performance. So I can't just do commits from time to time.

Best regards,

Erik