lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Is it faster to search over many different fields or one field that combines the values of all those other fields?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 15:04:06 GMT
There may be a raw performance advantage to having all values in a single
combined field, but then you loose the opportunity to boost title and tag
field hits.

With the extended dismax query parser you have the ability to specify the
field list in the "qf" request parameter so that the query can simply be the
keywords and operators without all of the extra "OR" operators. qf also lets
you specify the boost for each field.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: santamaria2
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:50 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Is it faster to search over many different fields or one field that
combines the values of all those other fields?

Say I have various categories of 'tags'. I want a keyword search to search
through my index of articles. So I search over:
1) the title.
2) the body
3) about 10 of these tag-categories. Each tag category is multivalued with a
few words per value.

Without considering the affect on 'relevance', and using the standard lucene
query parser, would it be faster to specify each of these 10 fields in q (q
= cat1:keyword OR cat2:keyword OR ... ), or to copyfield the stuff in those
10 fields into one combined field?

Or is it such that I should be slapped in the face for even thinking about
performance in this scenario?