lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ramprakash Ramamoorthy <youngestachie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dynamically pick dataDirs
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 11:41:49 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM, pravesh <suyalpravesh@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>While n being a higher value, firing 100 cores wouldn't be a viable
>>solution. How do I achiever this in solr, in short I would like to
>>have a single core and get results out of multiple index searchers and
>>that implies multiple index readers.
>
> When you'd want to have single core with multiple index directories (which
> currently is not supported by SOLR), then why can't you have a single merged
> index within the core.
>
> Lucene supports searching through multiple indexes but this hasn't been
> inherited by the SOLR by design (I mean using MultiSearcher API's for a
> single core with multiple index directories in it).
>
> BTW, how big your index(es) are? Total documents? total size? etc. If each
> core is small(MBs/ few GBs) then you could merge few of them together.
>
> Regards
> Pravesh
>
> --

Dear Pravesh,

    Thanks for the response. As I said earlier, I am using this for a
log search activity. Every index has around 3,00,000 docs in an
average and size spans from 1Gb to 3Gb.

    Everyday we zip the log indices and in case the user asks for logs
from previous dates, then we unzip an index into a particular
directory and then allow him to search (this is via lucene, we are
moving into solr for adding distributed search functionality).

     In our product we have the option to search upto 6 months (~180
days), in that case merging 180 indices wouldn't be that easy I guess.
--
With Thanks and Regards,
Ramprakash Ramamoorthy,