lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Spadez <james_will...@hotmail.com>
Subject Searching by location – What do I send to Solr?
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 14:01:18 GMT
Hi,

I'm finding it a bit hard to get my head around this. Say I am putting items
on a map. This is how I am thinking it would work:

A user submits an "item" and specifies the location as "London"
On submission, I run a process to convert "London" to a Long/Lat which is
stored in the database

However, when someone then goes onto my site and searches for the postcode
"SE1 2EL", which is in London, how does Solr know the long / lat of this?

Do I have to query Solr by using Long / Lat, in which case, when a user
submits a request for "SE1 2EL" I have to convert this to Long / Lat first
and then send this query to Solr?

I hope I have explained myself well, I would really like to know how others
have solved this.

James