lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Moving to Maven from Ant solr.build.dir Not Found
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:38:19 GMT
Eli,

Sorry, I don't have any experience using Solr in this way.

Has anybody else here successfully run Solr when it's included as a war dependency in an external
Maven-based war project, by running "mvn jetty:run exploded" from the external  project?

FYI, The nightly download page I pointed you to includes a *binary* distribution, and you
can run Solr using such a binary distribution by following the Solr tutorial I linked to.
 (This is the standard way to "get Solr running".)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Finkelshteyn [mailto:iefinkel@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:26 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Moving to Maven from Ant solr.build.dir Not Found

I'm running mvn jetty:run-exploded on my own project. My dependencies are:

<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
<artifactId>solr</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
<type>war</type>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
<artifactId>solr-core</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
<artifactId>solr-analysis-extras</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.solr</groupId>
<artifactId>solr-commons-csv</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
<artifactId>lucene-core</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
<type>jar</type>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
<artifactId>lucene-spatial</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
<artifactId>lucene-queryparser</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
<artifactId>lucene-analyzers-common</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
<artifactId>lucene-queries</artifactId>
<version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

I know I could download the snapshot manually, but I'd much prefer to do that through Maven
since I don't need to modify source at all.

Eli

On 4/10/12 3:14 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> You didn't answer my question about where you are running "mvn jetty:run-exploded" -
is it in your own project, or from the Solr sources?

"Download" link next to "Trunk (4.x-SNAPSHOT)" from<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NightlyBuilds>.

> Steve

using ant. I'd like to move it to use maven instead of ant. The way I was going about this
was just adding in all parts of Solr that it's using as dependencies in Maven. I wasn't using
a local repo for this at all, and instead just pulling everything from http://repository.apache.org/snapshots.
I'm using version 4.0-SNAPSHOT for everything right now.

> I'm running mvn jetty:run-exploded after compiling right now (or as my build target in
Eclipse as per that guide I originally posted).
> Basically, I was just doing that to try to get Solr up and running. I haven't found too
many clear guides on this point, so I could definitely be doing something wrong here.

> I'm fine with maven being officially unsupported as long as I can get things working.
I'm not doing anything too fancy or out of the ordinary, so I'm thinking this shouldn't be
too bad.

> Thanks again for the help!
>
> Eli
>
> On 4/10/12 2:12 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
>> Eli,
>>
>> Could you please more fully describe what you're doing?
>>
>> Are you modifying Solr sources, and then compiling&   installing the resulting
modifications to your local Maven repository?

>> Or do you have a project that doesn't include any Solr sources at all, but only depends
on Solr artifacts pulled in via Maven?

>> Also, which branch are you using?  Trunk (will be 4.0 when released)?  If you're
using branch_3x, my recommendation is that you instead use released artifacts instead of snapshots.

>> Where are you running "mvn jetty:run-exploded"?
>>
>>> I'm not using ant at all, and would really like to keep it that way
>>> if at all possible.
>> Well, the official Lucene/Solr build is Ant.  Using Maven to build Lucene/Solr is
"officially unsupported".  So depending on what you're doing, it may not be possible to avoid
Ant.

>> Steve

need to specify this that I don't know about? Should a build dir be generated at some point
during the Maven install process or some such? For clarity, all I'm doing right now is just
mvn installing and then trying mvn jetty:run-exploded. I'm not using ant at all, and would

POMs that are already included in Subversion for both Lucene and Solr.  See<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Maven>.

>>> Because of the complex nature of the Ant build, which the Maven POMs cannot entirely
duplicate, these POMs are not usable as the basis for IDE project bootstrapping.  Instead,
IntelliJ and Eclipse configurations are separately available: see<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#IntelliJ_.289.0.X.2C_10.X.2C_and_11.X.29>
   and<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Eclipse>.

>>> Steve

I've found all the dependencies I need and I'm not seeing any errors in my IDE. Everything
compiles and installs just fine. Problem is, when I try to start things up in Jetty, I get
errors. The first main one I get is:

>>> SEVERE: null:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No system
>>> property or default value specified for solr.build.dir
>>> value:${solr.build.dir}/
>>>
>>> I have:
>>>
>>> <properties>
>>> <build-directory>../build/solr-maven</build-directory>
>>> </properties>
>>>
>>> in my pom.xml, so I'm not sure why this comes up. Anyway, it's quickly followed
by:

>>> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>> org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrUpdateServlet
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if the two are related, but when googling I can't seem to find anyone
with the same problem. For reference, I started the bulk of my move from ant to maven using
the instructions here<http://uomesh.blogspot.com/2011/11/building-solr-as-maven-project.html>,
and then extrapolated from that to add in custom code and dependencies for my project. Any
ideas what I could be doing wrong?