lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alireza Salimi <alireza.sal...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene vs Solr design decision
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:24:32 GMT
Hi everybody,

Let's say we have a system with billions of small documents (average of 2-3
fields).
and each document belongs to JUST ONE user
and searches are user specific, meaning that when we search
for something, we just look into documents of that user.

On the other hand we need to see the newly added documents
as soon as they are added to the indexes.

Now I think we have two solutions:
1. Use Lucene directly and create a separate index file for each user
2. Use Solr and store all of the users' data all together in one HUGE index
file

the benefit of using Lucene is that each commit() will take less time
comparing to the case that we use Solr.

Is there any suggested solution for cases like this?

Thanks

--
Alireza Salimi
Java EE Developer