lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Ball <nicholas.b...@nodelay.com>
Subject Responding to Requests with Chunks/Streaming
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:17:39 GMT
Hello all,

I've been working on a plugin with a custom component and a few handlers for a research project.
It's aim is to do some interesting distributed work, however I seem to have come to a road
block when trying to respond to a clients request in multiple steps. Not even sure if this
is possible with Solr but after no luck on the IRC channel, thought I'd ask here.

What I'd like to achieve is to be able to have the requestHandler return results to a user
as soon as it has data available, then continue processing or performing other distributed
calls, and then return some more data, all on the same single client request.

Now my understanding is that solr does some kind of streaming. Not sure how it's technically
done over http in Solr so any information would be useful. I believe something like this would
work well but again not sure:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunked_transfer_encoding

I also came across this issue/feature request in JIRA but not completely sure what the conclusion
was or how someone might do/use this. Is it even relevant to what I'm looking for?

Thank you very much for any help and time you can spare!

Nicholas (incunix)