lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Ingram <andrew.ing...@tangentlabs.co.uk>
Subject Removing empty dynamic fields from a Solr 1.4 index
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:50:39 GMT
Hi all

(Note: this question is cross-posted on stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9327542/removing-empty-dynamic-fields-from-a-solr-1-4-index)

I have a Solr index that uses quite a few dynamic fields. I've recently changed my code to
reduce the amount of data we index with Solr, significantly reducing the number of dynamic
fields that are in use.

I've reindexed my data, and the doc count (as displayed in the admin schema browser) for the
old fields has dropped to zero. But I'm confused as to why the fields still exist. I've done
an optimize, and restarted the server, but I can't find any information on whether there's
a way to get these fields to disappear.

Am I now stuck with these fields unless I recreate the index from scratch? We're talking about
a significant reduction in fields (about 200 -> 30), and I'm worried about the performance
impact of keeping them floating around.

Thanks,
Andrew Ingram