lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Mike O'Leary" <tmole...@uw.edu>
Subject Do nested entities have a representation in Solr indexes?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 01:37:35 GMT
The data-config.xml file that I have for indexing database contents has nested entity nodes
within a document node, and each of the entities contains field nodes. Lucene indexes consist
of documents that contain fields. What about entities? If you change the way entities are
structured in a data-config.xml file, in what way (if any) does it change how the contents
are stored in the index. When I created the entities I am using, and defined the fields in
one of the inner entities to be multivalued, I thought that the fields of that entity type
would be grouped logically somehow in the index, but then I remembered that Lucene doesn't
have a concept of sub-documents (that I know of), so each of the field values will be added
to a list, and the extent of the logical grouping would be that the field values that were
indexed together would be at the same position in their respective lists. Am I understanding
this right, or do entities as defined in data-config.xml have some kind of representation
in the index like document and field do?
Thanks,
Mike