lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Kuhlmann <k...@solarier.de>
Subject Re: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:40:07 GMT
Hi Jonty,

no, not really. When we first had such problems, we really thought that
the number of open files is the problem, so we implemented an algorithm
that performed an optimize from time to time to force a segment merge.
Due to some misconfiguration, this ran too often. With the result that
an optimize was issued before thje previous optimization was finished,
which is a really bad idea.

We removed the optimization calls, and since then we didn't have any
more problems.

However, I never found out the initial reason for the exception. Maybe
there was some bug in Solr's 3.1 version - we're using 3.5 right now -,
but I couldn't find a hint in the changelog.

At least we didn't have this exception for more than two months now, so
I'm hoping that the cause for this has disappeared somehow.

Sorry that I can't help you more.

Greetings,
Kuli