lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Brett <br...@chopshop.org>
Subject Search Specific Boosting
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 00:57:04 GMT
I'm implementing a feature where admins have the ability to control the
order of the results by adding a boost to any specific search.

The search is a faceted interface (no text input) and which we take a
hash of the search parameters (to form a unique search id) and then
boost that field for the document.

The field is a wild card field so that it might look like this:

<field name="search395eff966b26a91d82935c8e1197330c_boost"
boost="90">true</field>

The problem is that in these search results I am seeing is that my
results are being grouped and the individual boost values are not having
the granular effect I am looking for.

Say on a result set of 75 documents.  I see results with search boosts
of 60-70 receiving the same score even though they were indexed with
different boost values.  There are always more than one group.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  Is there a better way to
do what I am looking for?

Thanks,

Brett

Field Definition:

     <fieldType name="boost" class="solr.TextField"
sortMissingLast="true" omitNorms="false" omitTermFreqAndPositions="true">
       <analyzer type="index">
       </analyzer>
       <analyzer type="query">
       </analyzer>