lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Lucene Index Version
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2011 14:55:32 GMT
Jamie -

The details would of course be entirely dependent on what changed, but with Lucene trunk/4.0
there is the flexible indexing API with codecs.  I imagine with a compatibility codec layer
one could provide some insulation to changes.

You're at big scale, so the "just reindex everything" answer isn't really satisfactory I understand.
 But locking in to a version of Lucene may be a decent stop-gap solution, and if/when the
format changes you can upgrade one node at a time (the Solr request/response won't change!)
and reindex in a rolling manner probably.  Again, it's still risky as there may be changes
to the index format needed for enhancements to SolrCloud that you want so you'd be stuck at
a fixed place with SolrCloud until you could do some reindexing.

	Erik

On Dec 7, 2011, at 08:50 , Jamie Johnson wrote:

> Erik,
>
> Do you have any details behind what would be required to write a tool
> to move from one index format to another?  Any examples/suggestions
> would be appreciated.
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Jamie Johnson <jej2003@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about modifying something like SolrIndexConfig.java to change the
>> lucene version that is used when creating the index?  (may not be the
>> right place, but is something like this possible?)
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Right.  Not sure what to advise you.  We have worked on this problem with our
LucidWorks platform and have some tools available to do this sort of thing, I think, but it's
not generally something that you can do with Lucene going from a snapshot to a released version.
 Perhaps others with deeper insight will chime in.

>>>        Erik

in a version of Lucene (all the Lucene libraries) that you use with SolrCloud.  Certainly
not out of the realm of possibilities of some upcoming SolrCloud capability that requires
some upgrading of Lucene though, but you may be set for a little while at least.

 I'd love

uses?  We're