lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed indexing
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:09:50 GMT

On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Rafał Kuć wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I was looking for a way to implement distributed indexing in Solr.
> From looking at the https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2358
> there was some work done to enable Solr to distribute the documents to
> shards without the need of 3rd party software before Solr. What I
> would like to know if this is the road Solr will take to make things
> work.

Yup - we are slowly marching down it on the solrcloud branch in svn. We have some work to
do to finish the basic scaffolding, and clean some things up - we should be able to start
working on recovery soon.

> Maybe there was some additional work done with distributed
> indexing ?

Yeah, we have made a bit of progress on the solrcloud branch - but there is still much to
do!

At a very simple level, there is an impl of a distributed update handler that works in the
simple case attached to that issue, but it's got lots of limitations that we will hopefully
address with the in-progress Distributed Indexing work.

> --
> Regards,
> Rafał Kuć

- Mark Miller