lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory, not during import or updates of the index
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:00:44 GMT
How big is your index?

What kind of queries do you tend to see? Do you facet on a lot of fields? Sort on a lot of
fields?

Before you get the OOM and are running along nicely, how much RAM is used?

On Nov 9, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Steve Fatula wrote:

> We get at rare times out of memory errors during the day. I know one reason for this
is data imports, none are going on. I see in the wiki, document adds have some quirks, not
doing that. I don't know to to expect for memory use though.

> We had Solr running under Tomcat set to 2G ram. I presume cache size has an effect on
memory, that's set to 30,000 for filter, document and queryResult. Have experimented with
different sizes for a while, these limits are all lower than we used to have them set to.
So, hoping there no sort of memory leak involved.

> In any case, some of the messages are:
>
> Exception in thread "http-8080-21" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>

> Some look like this:
>
> Exception in thread "http-8080-22" java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentLinkedQueue.offer(ConcurrentLinkedQueue.java:273)
>
> I presume the null pointer is a result of being out of memory.
>
> Should Solr possibly need more than 2GB? What else can we tune that might reduce memory
usage?

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com