lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr filterCache size settings...
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:09:35 GMT
Each fq will create a bitmap that is bounded by (maxdocs / 8) bytes.

You can think of the entries in the fiterCache as a map where the key is the
filter query you specify and the value is the aforementioned bitmap. The
number of entries specified in the config file is the number of entries
in that map. So the cache can take up roughly (assuming the size if 512)
512 * maxDocs / 8 bytes.

Best
Erick

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Andrew Lundgren
<lundgren@familysearch.org> wrote:
> I am new to solr in general and trying to get a handle on the memory requirements for
caching.   Specifically I am looking at the filterCache right now.  The documentation on
size setting seems to indicate that it is the number of values to be cached.  Did I read
that correctly, or is it really the amount of memory that will be set aside for the cache?

> How do you determine how much cache each fq will consume?
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Andrew Lundgren
> lundgren@familysearch.org
>

>  NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.