lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Pls help :-) ! calling external ws/db to fetch field instead of own index?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:30:39 GMT
Hi,

I would first of all try the most simple solution, namely re-index bug documents on every
change, even if they occur frequently. Solr can handle quite some update load, so I would
not call it impossible before I've tried.

If all you need the external value for is boosting score, then you could use ExternalFileField
which is a .txt file which you can update when you want without reindexing. But these cannot
be queried or returned in results, only used for boosting and sorting.

The next option is Join. Solr may perform very simple join on a "foreign key", in which case
you may update the frequently-changing fields in their own separate small documents, and join
them in at query time. There are limitations to this approach though.

Finally, in 4.0 we get DocValues/Column Stride Fields, which is meant for "external" values
which change frequently. The idea is that these will be updateable without reindexing, but
I don't think they are yet. See http://www.slideshare.net/lucenerevolution/willnauer-simon-doc-values-column-stride-fields-in-lucene
for more.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect