lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Brian Gerby <briange...@hotmail.com>
Subject Max Field Scoring?
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2011 01:26:40 GMT

Hi all -
I am trying to figure out if a particular use case is possible with solr. Let's say we are
using solr to store a group of people and the universities they attended. We have four fields
- NAME, PHD to house the name of the university they received a phd degree from, MASTERS to
house the name of the university they received a masters from and BACHELORS to house the university
the received a bachelors from. We also want to give a really big boost to matches for the
PHD field (100), a big boost for matches to the MASTERS field (50) and a small boost to matches
for the BACHELORS field (10). If someone attended the same university for all three degrees,
we only want to use the score for the highest boost, the PHD field. The desired net result
would be a search for 'Stanford' would boost documents the same for someone that received
a PHD from Stanford as someone that received a PHD, a MASTERS and a BACHELORS from Stanford.
We don't want the boosted score of all three fields to be used so simply adding all the boosted
fields won't work. Is this possible and if so, what's the best way? A boost function using
subqueries?
Many thanks in advance,

Brian