lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a good web front end application / interface for solr
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:40:56 GMT

On Oct 25, 2011, at 07:24 , Robert Stewart wrote:

> It is really not very difficult to build a decent web front-end to SOLR using one of
the available client libraries

Or even just not using any client library at all (other than an HTTP library).  I've done
a bit of proof-of-concept/prototyping with a super light weight (and of course Ruby!) approach
with my Prism tinkering: <https://github.com/lucidimagination/Prism>

Yes, in general it's very straightforward to build a search UI that shows results, pages through
them, displays facets, and allows them to be clicked and filter results and so on.  Devil
is always in the details, and having saved searches, export, customizability, authentication,
and so on makes it a more involved proposition.

If you're in a PHP environment, there is VUFind... again pretty library-centric at first,
but likely flexible enough to handle any Solr setup - <http://vufind.org/>.  For the
Pythonistas, there's Kochief - http://code.google.com/p/kochief/

Being a Rubyist myself (and founder of Blacklight), I'm not intimately familiar with the other
solutions but the library world has done a lot to get this sort of thing off the ground in
many environments.

	Erik