lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Jay.Jae...@dot.wi.gov>
Subject RE: Loading data to SOLR first time ( taking too long)
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:02:54 GMT
My goodness.  We do 4 million in about 1/2 HOUR (7+ million in 40 minutes).

First question:  Are you somehow forcing Solr to do a commit for each and every record?  If
so, that way leads to the house of PAIN.

The thing to do next, I suppose, might be to try and figure out whether the issue is in Solr
proper, or in the database you are importing from.

What does your query against your database look like?
How many fields do you have per record (we have around 30, counting copyField destinations)

Using a performance monitoring tool, try and find out the CPU utilization, memory utilization,
page write rates and physical disk drive queue lengths to narrow down which of the two systems
are having the problem (assuming your database is not on the same machine as Solr!)

JRJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Awasthi, Shishir [mailto:shishir.awasthi@baml.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:57 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Loading data to SOLR first time ( taking too long)

Hi,

I recently started working on SOLR and loaded approximately 4 million
records to the solr using DataImportHandler. It took 5 days to complete
this process.

Can you please suggest how this can be improved? I would like this to be
done in less than 6 hrs.

Thanks,

Shishir

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not
an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies
and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any
action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.

Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any
investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any
transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept,
monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and
may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.

The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may
be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are
located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities
and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value
* Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not
Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional
important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms
available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the
foregoing.