lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching multiple fields
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:04:10 GMT
I thought that a similarity class will only affect the scoring of a
single field.. not across multiple fields? Can anyone else chime in with
some input? Thanks.

On 9/26/11 9:02 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Eh, I don't have Lucene/Solr source code handy, but I *think* for that you'd need to
write custom Lucene similarity.

> Otis
> ----
>

>> ________________________________

to weight a document that has a match in both fields higher than a document that has a match
in only 1 field.

>> For example.
>>
>> Document 1
>> - Field A: "Foo Bar"
>> - Field B: "Foo Baz"
>>
>> Document 2
>> - Field A: "Foo Blarg"
>> - Field B: "Something else"
>>
>> Now when I search for "Foo" I would like document 1 and 2 to be similarly scored
however document 1 will be scored much higher in this use case because it matches in both
fields. I could create a third field and use copyField directive to search across that but
I was wondering if there is an alternative way. It would be nice if we could search across
some sort of "virtual field" that will use both underlying fields but not actually increase
the size of the index.