lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: query for point in time
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:33:26 GMT
You didn't tell us what your schema looks like, what fields with what
types are involved.

But similar to how you'd do it in your database, you need to find
'documents' that have a start date before your date in question, and an
end date after your date in question, to find the ones whose range
includes your date in question.

Something like this:

q=start_date:[* TO '2010-01-05'] AND end_date:['2010-01-05' TO *]

Of course, you need to add on your restriction to just documents about
'John Smith', through another AND clause or an 'fq'.

But in general, if you've got a db with this info already, and this is
all you need, why not just use the db?  Multi-hieararchy data like this
is going to give you trouble in Solr eventually, you've got to arrange
the solr indexes/schema to answer your questions, and eventually you're
going to have two questions which require mutually incompatible schema
to answer.

An rdbms is a great general purpose question answering tool for
structured data.  lucene/Solr is a great indexing tool for text matching.