lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: extending edismax?
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:46:37 GMT

: E.g. I want to pass the query "red shoes" as q="shoes"&fq=color:red. I have
: a service that can tell me that in the phrase "red shoes" the word red is
: the color.
:
: My question is where should I invoke this external service,
:
: 1) should my search client call the service, form the request and then call
: Solr or
: 2) should I pass the query as is to Solr and have Solr call the service
: internally.

: 1 is easier for me as I am familiar with the client code, 2 would be harder.
: I wanted to know what the best practices are.

I would go with what you are comfortable with.  This isn't the typoe of
thing where the nature of hte problem makes it more efficinet to solve in
one particular place, and the best place to deal with it on the server
side would be as a query parser, but subclassing edismax isn't exactly
straight forward.

-Hoss