lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Kanduru, Ajay (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <akand...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject Join performance?
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:48:01 GMT
I am trying to optimize performance of solr with our collection. The collection has 208M records
with index size of about 80GB. The machine has 16GB and I am allocating about 14GB to solr.

I am using self join statement in filter query like this:
q=(general search term)
fq={!join from=join_field to=join_field}(field1:(field1 search term) AND field2:(field2 search
term) AND field3:(field3 search term))

Field definitions:
join_field: string type (Has ~27K terms)
field1: text type
field2: double type
field3: string type

The response time of qf with join is about ten times compared to qf without join (~10 sec
vs ~1 sec). Is this something on expected lines? In general what parameters, if any, can be
tweaked? The intention is to use such multiple filter queries, hence the need for optimization.
Sharding and more horse power are obvious solutions, but more interested in optimizing for
a given host and a given data collection.

Appreciate any insight in this regard.

-Ajay