lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Cowan <ChrisCo...@plus3network.com>
Subject Re: Debugging a Solr/Jetty Hung Process
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 21:53:41 GMT
oops...

http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/bf43af733e898424/busywait_hang_using_extracting_update_handler_on_trunk

Chris

On Jun 4, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Chris Cowan wrote:

> I found this thread that looks similar to what's happening on my system. I think what
happens is there are multiple commits happening at once from the clients and it's causing
the same issue. I'm going to use the commitWithin argument to the updates to see if that fixes
the problem. I will report back with any findings.

> Chris
>
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
>
>> First guess (and it really is just a guess) would be Java garbage
>> collection taking over. There are some JVM parameters you can use to
>> tune the GC process, especially if the machine is multi-core, making
>> sure GC happens in a seperate thread is helpful.
>>
>> But figuring out exactly what's going on requires confusing JVM
>> debugging of which I am no expert at either.
>>
>> On 6/1/2011 3:04 PM, Chris Cowan wrote:
>>> About once a day a Solr/Jetty process gets hung on my server consuming 100% of
one of the CPU's. Once this happens the server no longer responds to requests. I've looked
through the logs to try and see if anything stands out but so far I've found nothing out of
the ordinary.

>>> My current remedy is to log in and just kill the single processes that's hung.
Once that happens everything goes back to normal and I'm good for a day or so.  I'm currently
 the running following:

>>> solr-jetty-1.4.0+ds1-1ubuntu1
>>>
>>> which is comprised of
>>>
>>> Solr 1.4.0
>>> Jetty 6.1.22
>>> on Unbuntu 10.10
>>>
>>> I'm pretty new to managing a Jetty/Solr instance so at this point I'm just looking
for advice on how I should go about trouble shooting this problem.