lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Gora Mohanty <g...@mimirtech.com>
Subject Re: SOLR Install
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 14:59:38 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Roger Shah <rshah@caci.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new user and I have installed SOLR 3.1.0 and running Tomcat 7.0.
> I was able to run the example which shows the SOLR Admin screen.  Also posted an XML
file by this command from dos prompt:  java -jar post.jar solr.xml.

Great.

> How can I get SOLR to search web sites and also search through other types of files,
databases, etc?

Solr does not crawl websites. You probably want Nutch, or some other
crawler. Files, and databases are possible

> Instead of running the example that comes with SOLR, How do I create my own?

Um, start by modifying the examples, maybe? There are more examples
that cover files, DB, etc. Please do ask here if you run into issues.

> Also can you point me to a SOLR Guide or documentation?  I did not see any detailed
documentation.

Er, what? Solr is probably among the best-documented FOSS projects, and
I can honestly say that because I have done none of the aforesaid
documentation :-)
the SolrWiki is fantastic:
* Complete list: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage
* Initial tutorial: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
* For easy data import from a database, you could consider
 using the DataImportHandler:
 http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler

> Please show me where can I post messages on the SOLR web site.

Not sure what that means.

Regards,
Gora