lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ahmet Arslan <iori...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Negative boost
Date Mon, 02 May 2011 15:54:24 GMT

I understand that the only way to simulate a negative boost is to positively
boost the inverse. I have looked at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRelevancyFAQ but I think I am missing
something on the formatting of my query. I am using:

http://localhost:8983/solr/search?q=dog&bq=(*:* -species:Sheltie)^10000

In this case, I am trying to search for records about "dog" but to put
records containing "Sheltie" closer to the bottom as I am not really
interested in that. However, the following queries:

http://localhost:8983/solr/search?q=dog
http://localhost:8983/solr/search?q=dog&bq=(*:* -species:Sheltie)^10000

Return the exact same set of results with a record about a Sheltie as the
top result each time. What am I doing incorrectly?

bq parameter is specific to dismax query parser.
If you want to benefit from bq, you need to use &defType=dismax as well as other dismax's
parameters
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxQParserPlugin