lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Markus Jelsma <markus.jel...@openindex.io>
Subject Re: Question about the purpose of reindexing
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 21:21:00 GMT
Define reindexing. Every new document is indexed and existing documents are
deleted and indexed as if it is a new document. Completely reindexing from
scratch is only required if breaking changes are made to the schema or if you
upgrade to a new version that uses another format and isn't able to convert.

To my knowledge and experience, it is perfectly sane to never do a complete
reindex and still accept incremental updates. Just do an optimize once in a
while and you're good to go.