lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <goks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucid Works
Date Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:13:15 GMT
Just to be clear, we are talking about two different Lucid Imagination products.

The Certified Distribution is a repackaging of the public Solr
releases with various add-on goodies that Lucid and others have
written over the years. This is the "drop-in replacement" for the
Apache release of Solr.

LucidWorks is a commercial product with a free download for
developers. LucidWorks has a core server and an external Ruby-based
UI.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2011, at 17:32 , Mark wrote:
>
>> How come this new version is bundled with rails and why is there no .war output format?
>
> Rails, via JRuby, is used in LucidWorks Enterprise for both the admin and search interfaces.
(and also powers the Alerts REST API).

>> I wanted a simple drop in replacement for my current war :(
>
> LucidWorks Enterprise is a standalone install, and intentionally controls the full environment
(using Jetty).  While it *is* Solr, it is also a lot more around it and a product we are
supporting thoroughly.   It's better for us, and our customers, to have as controlled an
environment as possible.

> As a search engine user, especially with LucidWorks Enterprise, the idea is to speak
an API to it (a REST control API, as well as standard Solr HTTP interface)... making dropping
in newer versions relatively straightforward.

> [an aside, there are plans to release a LucidWorks for Solr 3.1/.x certified distribution
too - I can't speak to the timeline of such a release though]

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com