lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject dismax "boost query" not useful?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:27:19 GMT
As I was reviewing the boosting capabilities of the dismax & edismax query parsers, it's
not clear to me that the "boost query" has much use.  The value of boost functions, particularly
with a multiplied boost that edismax supports, is very clear -- there are a variety of uses.
 But I can't think of a useful case when I want to both *add* a component to the ultimate
score, and for that component to be a non-function query (i.e. use the lucene query parser).

Also, you can basically get the same affect as a boost query via boost functions: bf=query(mybq)&mybq=...
     and note you will probably multiply this via product(10,query(mybq)) to boost it to an
appropriate number.

~ David Smiley