lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: [WKT] Spatial Searching
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:00:03 GMT
Thanks for the links Chris.  I think my approach in SOLR-2155 complies with those rules.  The
only part that concerns me wether this is true is the rule regarding the default action of
a build script:
YOU MUST NOT distribute build scripts or documentation within an Apache product with the purpose
of causing the default/standard build of an Apache product to include any part of a prohibited
work.

It's not saying specifically we can't compile against LGPL, it's ambiguously saying "include".
 I take that to mean the result of the build -- e.g. class and jar files, which may not include
LGPL.

RE SIS... I wonder how the expertise on that project compares to that of JTS's Martin Davis
-- an expert, and the library has been in use for 10 years.

~ David
From: Mattmann, Chris A (388J) [chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:00 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Cc: Adam Estrada
Subject: Re: [WKT] Spatial Searching

LGPL licenses and Apache aren't exactly compatible, see:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#transition-examples-lgpl
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

In practice, this was the reason we started the SIS project.

Cheers,
Chris

On Mar 28, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Smiley, David W. wrote:

> (This is one of those messages that I would have responded to at the time if I only noticed
it.)

> There is not yet indexing of arbitrary shapes (i.e. your data can only be points), but
with SOLR-2155 you can query via WKT thanks to JTS.  If you want to index shapes then you'll
have to wait a month or two for work that is underway right now.  It's coming; be patient.

> I don't see the LGPL licensing as a problem; it's *L*GPL, not GPL, after all.  In SOLR-2155
the patch I take measures to download this library dynamically at build time and compile against
it.  JTS need not ship with Solr; the user can get it themselves if they want this capability.
 Non-JTS query shapes should work without the presence of JTS.

> ~ David Smiley
> Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/
>
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Adam Estrada wrote:
>
>> I just came across a ~nudge post over in the SIS list on what the status is for that
project. This got me looking more in to spatial mods with Solr4.0.  I found this enhancement
in Jira. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2155. In this issue, David mentions that
he's already integrated JTS in to Solr4.0 for querying on polygons stored as WKT.

>> It's relatively easy to get WKT strings in to Solr but does the Field type exist
yet? Is there a patch or something that I can test out?

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html

>> ogr2ogr -f CSV output.csv input.shp -lco GEOMETRY=AS_WKT
>> This converts a shapefile to a csv with the geometries in tact in the form of WKT.
You can then get the data in to Solr by running the following command.
>> curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/update/csv?commit=true&separator=%2C&fieldnames=id,attr1,attr2,attr3,geom&stream.file=C:\tmp\output.csv&overwrite=true&stream.contentType=text/plain;charset=utf-8"
>> There are lots of flavors of geometries so I suspect that this will be a daunting
task but because JTS recognizes each geometry type it should be possible to work with them.
>> Does anyone know of a patch or even when this functionality might be included in
to Solr4.0? I need to query for polygons ;-)
>> Thanks,
>> Adam

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist