lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From cyang2010 <ysxsu...@hotmail.com>
Subject Help on Multi-language support
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 23:44:11 GMT
Hi,

I wonder how solr can satisfy our multi-language requirement.

For example, for movie/tv series titles, We require that based on user
preferred language, user is able to get back titles name (and actor,
directors) by selected language.  For example, getTitlesByGenreId.   On the
other hand, we also support search by title name, actor or director name.

Therefore, how shall i design the solr schema to accomate the requirement?

Here is my current schema without consideration of the language:

Someone recommended to store as a new doc for the same title in a different
language.  Then solr doc has a language field to denote what language the
doc is for.  I don't think this can work, right?  Now all those title_name
value in different language will share the same index/query analyzer since
they are put int the same field.  For different language (asci based vs
asian language), you will need different parser, right?

The way i see this can work is to add extra field for those language related
field, such as title_name_ch (chinese), title_name_es (spanish) and etc.
Then my application logic need to know what language specific field to query
on based on user language preference.   What do you think?

In summary, shall i go with duplicate doc for title in another language, or
shall i just change my schema to accomodate those additional language
related fields?

Thanks.  Your help is appreciated.