lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Adam Estrada <estrada.adam.gro...@gmail.com>
Subject [WKT] Spatial Searching
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 04:18:15 GMT
I just came across a ~nudge post over in the SIS list on what the status is for that project.
This got me looking more in to spatial mods with Solr4.0.  I found this enhancement in Jira.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2155. In this issue, David mentions that he's already
integrated JTS in to Solr4.0 for querying on polygons stored as WKT.

It's relatively easy to get WKT strings in to Solr but does the Field type exist yet? Is there
a patch or something that I can test out?

Here's how I would do it using GDAL/OGR and the already existing csv update handler. http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html

ogr2ogr -f CSV output.csv input.shp -lco GEOMETRY=AS_WKT
This converts a shapefile to a csv with the geometries in tact in the form of WKT. You can
then get the data in to Solr by running the following command.
curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/update/csv?commit=true&separator=%2C&fieldnames=id,attr1,attr2,attr3,geom&stream.file=C:\tmp\output.csv&overwrite=true&stream.contentType=text/plain;charset=utf-8"
There are lots of flavors of geometries so I suspect that this will be a daunting task but
because JTS recognizes each geometry type it should be possible to work with them.
Does anyone know of a patch or even when this functionality might be included in to Solr4.0?
I need to query for polygons ;-)
Thanks,
Adam