lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Schmidt <...@535consulting.com>
Subject Which version of Solr?
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 21:37:37 GMT
Hello:

I'm working on incorporating Solr into a SaaS based life sciences semantic search project.
This will be released in about six months. I'm trying to determine which version of Solr makes
the most sense. When going to the Solr download page, there are 1.3.0, 1.4.0, and 1.4.1. I've
been using 1.4.1 while going through some examples in my Packt book ("Solr 1.4 Enterprise
Search Server").

But, I also see that Solr 3.1 and 4.0 are in the works.  According to:

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

there is a high degree of progress on both of those releases; including a slew of bug fixes,
new features, performance enhancements etc. Should I be making use of one of the newer versions?
 The hierarchical faceting seems like it could be quite useful.  Are there any guesses on
when either 3.1 or 4.0 will be officially released?

So far, 1.4.1 has been good. But I'm unable to get SolrJ to work due to the 'javabin' version
mismatch. I'm using the 1.4.1 version of SolrJ, but I always get an HTTP response code of
200, but the return entity is simply a null byte, which does not match the version number
of 1 defined in Solr common.  Anyway, I can follow up on that issue if 1.4.1 is still the
most appropriate version to use these days. Otherwise, I'll try again with whatever version
you suggest.

Thanks a lot!

Jeff
--