lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <goks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Which version of Solr?
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:07:18 GMT
There is momentum towards doing a release of 3.x. I would be
comfortable using the 3.x branch.

--- But I'm unable to get SolrJ to work due to the 'javabin' version
mismatch. I'm using the 1.4.1 version of SolrJ, but I always get an
HTTP response code of 200, but the return entity is simply a null
byte, which does not match the version number of 1 defined in Solr
common.  ---

I've never seen this problem. At this point you are better off
starting with 3.x instead of chasing this problem down.

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Jeff Schmidt <jas@535consulting.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm working on incorporating Solr into a SaaS based life sciences semantic search project.
This will be released in about six months. I'm trying to determine which version of Solr makes
the most sense. When going to the Solr download page, there are 1.3.0, 1.4.0, and 1.4.1. I've
been using 1.4.1 while going through some examples in my Packt book ("Solr 1.4 Enterprise
Search Server").

> But, I also see that Solr 3.1 and 4.0 are in the works.  According to:
>
>        https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel
>
> there is a high degree of progress on both of those releases; including a slew of bug
fixes, new features, performance enhancements etc. Should I be making use of one of the newer
versions?  The hierarchical faceting seems like it could be quite useful.  Are there any
guesses on when either 3.1 or 4.0 will be officially released?

> So far, 1.4.1 has been good. But I'm unable to get SolrJ to work due to the 'javabin'
version mismatch. I'm using the 1.4.1 version of SolrJ, but I always get an HTTP response
code of 200, but the return entity is simply a null byte, which does not match the version
number of 1 defined in Solr common.  Anyway, I can follow up on that issue if 1.4.1 is still
the most appropriate version to use these days. Otherwise, I'll try again with whatever version
you suggest.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com