lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Greg Georges <greg.geor...@biztree.com>
Subject Solr design decisions
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:22:38 GMT
Hello all,

I have just finished to book "Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server". I now understand most of
the basics of Solr and also how we can scale the solution. Our goal is to have a centralized
search service for a multitude of apps.

Our first application which we want to index, is a system in which we must index documents
through Solr Cell. These documents are associated to certain clients (companies). Each client
can have a multitude of users, and each user can be part of a group of users. We have permissions
on each physical document in the system, and we want this to also be present in our enterprise
search for the system.

I read that we can associate roles and ids to solr documents in order to show only a subset
of search results for a particular user. The question I am asking is this. A best practice
in Solr is to batch commit changes. The problem in my case is that if we change a documents
permissions (role), and if we batch commit there can be a period where the document in the
search results can be associated to the old role. What should I do in this case? Should I
just commit the change right away? What if this action is done many times by many clients,
will the performance still scale even if I do not batch commit my changes? Thanks

Greg