lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Schmidt <...@535consulting.com>
Subject Re: Which version of Solr?
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:24:07 GMT
Thanks Lance, I'll see what I can do with 3.x. I got the latest build #260 from Hudson (apache-solr-3.1-2011-02-13_05-19-21.tgz).

While SolrJ 1.4.1 was available to my Maven build, I don't see any 3.x or 4.x client artifacts
available out there. It looks like Maven was addressed a while back (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-586),
but has that fallen by the wayside?  I admittedly did not build from source. But, in the distribution
I just downloaded, I don't see any POMs etc. for the client stuff that I could perhaps install
in a local repo.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Feb 12, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Lance Norskog wrote:

> There is momentum towards doing a release of 3.x. I would be
> comfortable using the 3.x branch.
>
> --- But I'm unable to get SolrJ to work due to the 'javabin' version
> mismatch. I'm using the 1.4.1 version of SolrJ, but I always get an
> HTTP response code of 200, but the return entity is simply a null
> byte, which does not match the version number of 1 defined in Solr
> common.  ---
>
> I've never seen this problem. At this point you are better off
> starting with 3.x instead of chasing this problem down.
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Jeff Schmidt <jas@535consulting.com> wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I'm working on incorporating Solr into a SaaS based life sciences semantic search
project. This will be released in about six months. I'm trying to determine which version
of Solr makes the most sense. When going to the Solr download page, there are 1.3.0, 1.4.0,
and 1.4.1. I've been using 1.4.1 while going through some examples in my Packt book ("Solr
1.4 Enterprise Search Server").

>> But, I also see that Solr 3.1 and 4.0 are in the works.  According to:
>>
>>        https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel
>>
>> there is a high degree of progress on both of those releases; including a slew of
bug fixes, new features, performance enhancements etc. Should I be making use of one of the
newer versions?  The hierarchical faceting seems like it could be quite useful.  Are there
any guesses on when either 3.1 or 4.0 will be officially released?

>> So far, 1.4.1 has been good. But I'm unable to get SolrJ to work due to the 'javabin'
version mismatch. I'm using the 1.4.1 version of SolrJ, but I always get an HTTP response
code of 200, but the return entity is simply a null byte, which does not match the version
number of 1 defined in Solr common.  Anyway, I can follow up on that issue if 1.4.1 is still
the most appropriate version to use these days. Otherwise, I'll try again with whatever version
you suggest.

--
Jeff Schmidt
535 Consulting