lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bill Bell <billnb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr design decisions
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:47:55 GMT
You could commit on a time schedule. Like every 5 mins. If there is nothing to commit it doesn't
do anything anyway.

Bill Bell
Sent from mobile

On Feb 11, 2011, at 8:22 AM, Greg Georges <greg.georges@biztree.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have just finished to book "Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server". I now understand most
of the basics of Solr and also how we can scale the solution. Our goal is to have a centralized
search service for a multitude of apps.

> Our first application which we want to index, is a system in which we must index documents
through Solr Cell. These documents are associated to certain clients (companies). Each client
can have a multitude of users, and each user can be part of a group of users. We have permissions
on each physical document in the system, and we want this to also be present in our enterprise
search for the system.

> I read that we can associate roles and ids to solr documents in order to show only a
subset of search results for a particular user. The question I am asking is this. A best practice
in Solr is to batch commit changes. The problem in my case is that if we change a documents
permissions (role), and if we batch commit there can be a period where the document in the
search results can be associated to the old role. What should I do in this case? Should I
just commit the change right away? What if this action is done many times by many clients,
will the performance still scale even if I do not batch commit my changes? Thanks