lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Owen <michaelowe...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Lower level filtering
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:57:52 GMT

That was a quick response Steve!
Sounds all great! Much appreciated. Definitely think specifying a bit filter is something
that many people many find useful.

I'll have a look at Solr-2052 too.
Thanks again,
Mike

> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:57:54 -0500
> Subject: Re: Lower level filtering
> From: eelstretching@gmail.com
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Michael Owen <michaelowenuk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm currently using Solr and I've got a question about filtering on a lower level
than filter queries.
> > We want to be able to restrict the documents that can possibly be returned to a
users query. From another system we'll get a list of document unique ids for the user which
is all the documents that they can possibly see (i.e. a base index list as such). The criteria
for what document ids get returned is going to be quite flexible. As the number of ids can
be up to index size - 1 (i.e. thousands) using a filter query doesn't seem right for entering
a filter query which is so large.
> > Can something be done at a lower level - perhaps at a Lucene level - as I understand
Lucene starts from a bitset of possible documents it can return - could we AND this with a
filter bitset returned from the other system? Would this be a good way forward?
> > And then how would you do this in Solr with still keeping Solr's extra functionality
it brings over Lucene. A new SearchHandler?