lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To cache or to not cache
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:06:17 GMT
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Em <mailformailinglists@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Thank you Shalin.
> Yes, both - Solr and some other applications could possible run on the same
> box.
> I hoped that not storing redundantly in Solr and somewhere else in the RAM
> would not touch Solr's performance very much.
>
> Just to understand Solr'c caching mechanism:
>
> My first query is "red firefox" - all caches were turned on.
> If I am searching now for "red star", does this query makes any usage from
> the cache, since both share the term "red"?

Well, we can assume that some documents will be common so the documentCache
will be hit. If you are using a sort on fields or function queries, the
fieldCache built by lucene (not configurable) will be used. If there are any
common "fq" clauses, those will hit the filterCache. Apart from that, it is
difficult to say unless we know the field types and the parsed query.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.