lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ken Stanley <doh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Highlighting and maxBooleanClauses limit
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:50:57 GMT
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Koji Sekiguchi <koji@r.email.ne.jp> wrote:

> (10/11/02 23:14), Ken Stanley wrote:
>
>> I've noticed in the stack trace that this exception occurs when trying to
>> build the query for the highlighting; I've confirmed this by copying the
>> params and changing hl=true to hl=false. Unfortunately, when using
>> debugQuery=on, I do not see any details on what is going on with the
>> highlighting portion of the query (after artificially increasing the
>> maxBooleanClauses so the query will run).
>>
>> With all of that said, my question(s) to the list are: Is there a way to
>> determine how exactly the highlighter is building its query (i.e., some
>> sort
>> of highlighting debug setting)?
>>
>
> Basically I think highlighter uses main query, but try to rewrite it
> before highlighting.
>
>
>  Is the behavior of highlighting in SOLR
>> intended to be held to the same restrictions (maxBooleanClauses) as the
>> query parser (even though the highlighting query is built internally)?
>>
>
> I think so because maxBooleanClauses is a static variable.
>
> I saw your stack trace and glance at highlighter source,
> my assumption is - highlighter tried to rewrite (expand) your
> range queries to boolean query, even if you set requireFieldMatch to true.
>
> Can you try to query without the range query? If the problem goes away,
> I think it is highlighter bug. Highlighter should skip the range query
> when user set requireFieldMatch to true, because your range query is for
> another field. If so, please open a jira issue.
>
> Koji
> --
> http://www.rondhuit.com/en/
>

Koji, that is most excellent. Thank you for pointing out that the range
queries were causing the highlighter to exceed the maxBooleanClauses. Once I
removed them from my main query (and moved them into separate filter
queries), SOLR and highlighting worked as I expected them to work.

Per your suggestion, I have opened a JIRA ticket (SOLR-2216) for this
problem. I am somewhat a novice at Java, and I have not yet had the pleasure
of getting the SOLR sources in my working environment, but I would be more
than eager to potentially assist in finding a solution - with maybe some
mentoring from a more experienced developer.

Anyway, thank you again, I am very excited to have a suitable work around
for the time being.

- Ken Stanley

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message