lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Nizan Grauer <niz...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Dynamic creating of cores in solr
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 08:35:39 GMT
Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right mail to write to, hopefully you can help or direct me to the
right person

I'm using solr - one master with 17 slaves in the server and using solrj as the java client

Currently there's only one core in all of them (master and slaves) - only the cpaCore.

I thought about using multi-cores solr, but I have some problems with that.

I don't know in advance which cores I'd need -

When my java program runs, I call for documents to be index to a certain url, which contains
the core name, and I might create a url based on core that is not yet created. For example:

Calling to index - http://localhost:8080/cpaCore  - existing core, everything as usual
Calling to index -  http://localhost:8080/newCore - server realizes there's no core "newCore",
creates it and indexes to it. After that - also creates the new core in the slaves
Calling to index - http://localhost:8080/newCore  - existing core, everything as usual

What I'd like to have on the server side to do is realize by itself if the cores exists or
not, and if not  - create it

One other restriction - I can't change anything in the client side - calling to the server
can only make the calls it's doing now - for index and search, and cannot make calls for cores
creation via the CoreAdminHandler. All I can do is something in the server itself

What can I do to get it done? Write some RequestHandler? REquestProcessor? Any other option?

Thanks, nizan