lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Brown" <Jason.Br...@sjp.co.uk>
Subject Facet Counts Issue when Using Dismax Query Parser in SOLR
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:37:32 GMT

I am retrieving facet counts against a specific column in my index and these look accurate.
The query for retrieving these counts is also running a dismax search using the q param (against
4 columns in my index, 1 of which I am facet counting on as mentioned above).

So far, so good. I show my search results, I show my facets and associated counts.

However, I want the user to be able to 'drill-down' by re-running the same search (same q
param), but adding in one of the facets to filter the results. Clearly, I can't modify the
q parameter to filter against my facetted column (in addition to the previous q value), as
dismax wont allow a q param to have a column specified.

So I add a fq param to filter the results by the chosen facet. This seems logical, but the
number of search results I get is NOT the same as the count against the facet.

I thought that by adding an fq param I am basically saying (ensuring I keep the q param the
same), re-run the search but filter my results where my facetted column has value 'x'.

However as the number of results is not what I am expecting, I believe it may be using the
fq param first to define the number of docs against which the q param is subsequently used.
But this doesnt seem very intuitive. But it would explain the difference in the facet count
and subsequent number of search results that I am observing.

Could someone help point out which of the 2 interpreations of fq is correct?

If you wish to view the St. James's Place email disclaimer, please use the link below

http://www.sjp.co.uk/portal/internet/SJPemaildisclaimer