lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Lohrenz, Steven" <Steven.Lohr...@hmhpub.com>
Subject Searching Across Multiple Cores
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:11:11 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if how I can accomplish the following:

I have a fairly static and large set of resources I need to have indexed and searchable. Solr
seems to be a perfect fit for that. In addition I need to have the ability for my users to
add resources from the main data set to a 'Favourites' folder (which can include a few more
tags added by them). The Favourites needs to be searchable in the same manner as the main
data set, across all the same fields.

My first thought was to have two separate schemas
- the first  for the main data set and its metadata
- the second for the Favourites folder with all of the metadata from the main set copied over
and then adding the additional fields.

Then I thought that would probably waste quite a bit of space (the number of users is much
larger than the number of main resources).

So then I thought I could have the main data set with its metadata. Then there would be second
one for the Favourites folder with the unique id from the first and the additional fields
it needs (userId, grade, folder, tag). In addition, I would create another schema/core with
all the fields from the other two and have a request handler defined on it that searches across
the other 2 cores and returns the results through this core.

This third core would have searches run against it where the results would expect to only
be returned for a single user. For example, a user searches their Favourites folder for all
the items with Foo. The result is only those items the user has added to their Favourites
with Foo somewhere in their main data set metadata.

Could this be made to work? What would the consequences be? Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve