lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Would it be nuts to store a bunch of large attachments (images, videos) in stored but-not-indexed fields
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:53:27 GMT
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Ron Mayer <rm_g@0ape.com> wrote:

> I have some documents with a bunch of attachments (images, thumbnails
> for them, audio clips, word docs, etc); and am currently dealing with
> them by just putting a path on a filesystem to them in solr; and then
> jumping through hoops of keeping them in sync with solr.

Not sure why that is an issue. Keeping them in sync with solr would be the
same as storing within a file-system. Why would storing within solr be any
different.

> Would it be nuts to stick the image data itself in solr?
>
> More specifically - if I have a bunch of large stored fields,
> would it significantly impact search performance in the
> cases when those fields aren't fetched.

Hard to say. Assume you mean storing by converting into a base64 format. If
you do not retrieve the field when fetching, AFAIK should not affect it
significantly, if at all.
So if you manage your retrieval should be fine.