lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Xavier Schepler <xavier.schep...@sciences-po.fr>
Subject No response from Solr on complex request (real issue explained)
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:46:16 GMT
Hi,

We are in a beta testing phase, with several users a day.

After several days of running well, the solr server stopped responding
to requests that require a lot of processing time, like this one :

wt=json&omitHeader=true&q=qiAndMSwFR%3A%28transport%29&q.op=AND&start=0&rows=5&fl=id,domainId,solrLangCode,ddiFileId,studyDescriptionId,studyYearAndDescriptionId,nesstarServerId,studyNesstarId,variableId,questionId,variableNesstarId,concept,studyTitle,studyQuestionCount,hasMultipleItems,variableName,hasQuestionnaire,questionnaireUrl,studyDescriptionUrl,universe,notes,preQuestionText,postQuestionText,interviewerInstructions,questionPosition,vlFR,qFR,iFR,mFR,vlEN,qEN,iEN,mEN,&sort=score%20desc&fq=solrLangCode%3AFR&facet=true&facet.field=%7B%21ex%3DstudySerieIds%2Cdecades%2CstudyIds%2CqueryFilters%2CconceptIds%2CdomainIds%7DdomainId&facet.field=%7B%21ex%3DstudySerieIds%2Cdecades%2CstudyIds%2CqueryFilters%2CconceptIds%2CdomainIds%7DstudyDecade&facet.field=%7B%21ex%3DstudySerieIds%2Cdecades%2CstudyIds%2CqueryFilters%2CconceptIds%2CdomainIds%7DstudySerieId&facet.field=%7B%21ex%3DstudySerieIds%2Cdecades%2CstudyIds%2CqueryFilters%2CconceptIds%2CdomainIds%7DstudyYearAndDescriptionId&facet.sort=count&f.studyDecade.facet.sort=lex&spellcheck=true&spellcheck.count=10&spellcheck.dictionary=qiAndMFR&spellcheck.q=transport&hl=on&hl.fl=qSwFR,iHLSwFR,mHLSwFR&hl.fragsize=0&hl.snippets=10000&hl.usePhraseHighlighter=true&hl.highlightMultiTerm=true&hl.simple.pre=%3Cb%3E&hl.simple.post=%3C%2Fb%3E&hl.mergeContiguous=false

It involves highlighting on a multivalued field with more than 600 short
values inside. Usually, it takes 200 or 300 ms.

I'm using Solr within Tomcat.
After restarting Tomcat all went fine again.

I'm trying to understand why I had to restart tomcat and what should I
do to have it working 7/7 24/24.

Xavier