lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Paolo Castagna <castagna.li...@googlemail.com>
Subject Faceting and omitNorms=true
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:15:35 GMT
Hi,
I am not completely sure on what's the recommended setting for fields
used for faceting regarding omitNorms and potitionIncrementGap.

Should I used omitNorms="true"?

What about positionIncrementGap?

At the moment I have this in my schema.xml:

   <dynamicField name="*_facet" type="keyword" indexed="true"
stored="false" multiValued="true" />
   <fieldType name="keyword" class="solr.TextField">
    <analyzer class="org.apache.lucene.analysis.KeywordAnalyzer"/>
   </fieldType>

And I was thinking to change to:

   <dynamicField name="*_facet" type="keyword" indexed="true"
stored="false" multiValued="true" omitNorms="true"
positionIncrementGap="100" />

There is documentation, but I did not find a definite answer for
omitNorms in relation to faceting.

  "faceting: indexed='true'"
   -- http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldOptionsByUseCase

  "Only full-text fields or fields that need an index-time boost need
   norms."
   --
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/example/solr/conf/schema.xml

Thank you,